Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Dear Complacency.

Complacency,

I know your relation to counterfeit comfort, and I know you speak in whispers. 
I know you rub passion raw, and I know how you leave blisters. 

I know you approach with ease and caution, and I know you're on a mission.
I know you enjoy sleeping to death, and I know how you steal vision. 

I know how you encourage paved roads, and I know how you lead the masses.
I know you are a liar, and I know you turn fire to ashes. 

I know you linger in deserts, and I know you love dry places.
I know you like cold hearts in the chest, and I know you love dead faces.

I know you hide in self satisfaction, and I know you hide in entertainment.
I know you hide in inner pride, and I know you live for containment. 

I know you celebrate the possible, and I know you flee from faith. 
I know you've longed to consume me, but I know you made a mistake. 

I know you. You don't know me like you think you do. 
You plot in silence, and you work hard. I do too. 

I know you. I know you wish to drain the blood from my veins. 
I know you. I have watched you manufacture comfortable chains. 

I know you. I have watched you slaughter dreams on the altar of mediocrity. 
The galaxies swim in my soul, and their fireworks are going off in me. 

The gold in me will never be found spilled at your altar. 
I don't belong in your sanctuary. Haven't you heard what they call me? Daughter. 

Your hands made of ice will melt under my flame.
Know your territory. Know your limits. Know my name. 

Complacency,

I won't entertain you, quiet killer.
In me is a child in need of God, The Father. You won't steal her. 

I won't kiss the lips of comfort. It's death.
Like a silent leak, you would drain me until nothing is left. 

So, as you tuck people into the grave with your eyes wide awake,
know that I have turned my back on you. Your embrace I forsake. 

I choose the fire of my God that refines gold. 

May it blister me as He whispers to me mysteries untold.

Complacency,


Don't invite me. The answer is no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment