Sunday, March 27, 2016

"I Denied Him" - Peter


I denied Him. I denied Him. I denied Him, and I said I never would.
Three times I did it. I never knew I could.

I could have sworn that I loved Him. I was absolutely sure.
Am I any different than Judas? I’ve walked through a betrayer’s door.

I told Him I would die with Him, but that was nothing but a lie.
I deserve His death and punishment! I deserve to die!

I was with Him in His glory, but I left Him in His pain.
I was such a coward, and I am so ashamed!

I was with Him when they cheered Him on. I was with Him. I was in.
But I was out the moment the day turned to night and they yelled, “Crucify Him!”

I denied Him. I denied Him. I denied Him. It’s what I swore I would not do.
Three times I did it. What He said to me was true!

And then the rooster crowed, and this coward fell on his face.
I wept in bitterness. The disciple in me was gone without a trace.

I buried my face in the dirt, and I mourned the death of my courage.
Who had I become? In my soul, selfishness had flourished.

My tears wet the dust beneath me as I lamented the demise of my loyalty.
Jesus is hanging on the cross. Where’s Peter? He’s gone!  I’ve deserted Royalty!

How do I, Peter, have so many tears?
How do I of all people have so many fears?

I waited there in my grief, the countdown to my end. 5, 4, 3, 2…
“Peter, get up! He’s back just like He promised. The Master calls for you!”

My head ripped from the ground the moment I got word.
My tears dried instantly. Did I just hear what I think I heard?

Yes, I am moved that He is back from the dead, but did she say He called for me?
I denied Him. I denied Him. I denied Him. He called for me personally?

My God, this Man has loved me! He has loved me to the end!
Jesus, You're more than I ever thought. I cannot comprehend!

I denied You! I denied You! I denied You! I said I never would.
Three times I did it. I never knew I could.

You loved me. You loved me. You loved me. I can’t believe You did.
Three days of death and Hell You suffered just to prove it.

And so the time came when with confidence I asked, “Turn my cross upside down.
As they crucified me, I loved Him. I loved Him. I loved Him in my cross and in my crown.”

For Him, I died. No, there were no bitter tears. There was no shame.
I hung upside down proud, so proud to bear that Man’s name.

I, Peter, love Him. I love Him. I love Him. I never knew I could.
Three times I have said it, and a million times I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment