Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Sleep On.


He’s on His face crying out. His Father is silent. His friends are asleep.
Someone comfort Him. He’s contemplating the cross. Watch Him weep.

Heaven is quiet as it closes its windows. His brothers are still in their slumber.
Someone count His cost. He’s considering the cross. His burdens are without number.

His body trembles. It shakes. Blood drips and drops from His head.
Someone run to Him! In hours, He will be dead.

Eternity turns its back. His disciples will soon run and hide.
Someone hold Him! Look at His anguish. Look at the tears He has cried.

He’s lying in the dust of despair. His Father is silent. His friends are asleep.
Someone encourage Him. Looking death in the face, there’s a promise He must keep.

Like a worm He is stretched out on the soil, dirt on his lips. Everyone is gone.
Someone lift Him up. His soul is crushed. The King can no longer go on.

His body forms a cross in the clay. His Father is silent. His friends are asleep.
Someone, please! Help Him! The grief He is carrying is in His veins, seeping deep.

His lips shake as He groans for relief. He can feel the darkness of the night on His skin.
Someone, please! Hearten Him! This man is destined to die for my sin!

His heart is about to fail in His chest. His Father is silent. His friends are asleep.
Please, Jesus. Don’t give up. It’s only in Your cross that I will ever be freed.

He lifts His face from the mud His tears created. He pushes Himself off the ground.
He clenches His jaw. He raises His chin. My voice. He heard the sound!

His mind was made up. He would die a murderer’s death.
His mind was made up. He would love me until His final breath.

He gazed into the black sky, no sign from His Father. He looked at His friends hard asleep.
“It’s okay. This is my burden to bear. My charge cannot be cheap.”

“Sleep on. This is my price. This is my cost.
This is my moment to endure my cross.”

“Stay silent. This is my dark hour. This is my time to cry.
This is my moment to climb on the tree, my moment to bleed, my moment to die.”

“Sleep on. This is my burden. My pain will be great.
It will all be worth it, though, when I take Hell’s keys and trample its gate.”

The darkest of nights leave you feeling abandoned, your face to the ground.
The darkest of nights are your only assurance that your future holds a crown.

Everyone is silent. There’s nowhere to turn.
Oh, I hope you understand. I hope you can discern!

When life has laid you out on your belly to groan.
Here, God is establishing your throne.

Oh, you’re sure you’re dying. You’re sure it’s the end!
My friend, let me help you. Your life is just about to begin.

Hold on! Clench the dirt in your hands.
Can’t you hear it? All of Heaven is cheering you on from the stands!

To all of the things you ever thought you needed to survive that are now gone.
Look at them with Destiny in your eyes and release them.
“Sleep on.”




1 comment: